Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Writing a Play

As some of you may recall, last April (a year ago!) I posted that I was participating in something called Script Frenzy. I made a grand total of two posts on the topic.

Post #1

Post #2

Let's just say that my Script Frenzy was little more than an epic fail. I guess writing three 50,000 word novels is WAY easier for me than one 100 page play script. I think I reached a grand total of four pages and quit.

But recently, I found out about a theater group here in Minnesota looking for original short plays to perform this summer. I know this theater group pretty well; my dad loves them and we take a long drive to Rochester just to see a lot of their stuff. (This is the same group I saw perform Into the Woods that I talked about in this post) I've met several people in the group, and I thought, "I would love to write a play for them." They are wildly creative and extremely professional, and I know they would love to at least read something I wrote.

So I've decided to write a short play, just to see what happens. This will be much easier than Script Frenzy, because the play can only be roughly fifteen to thirty minutes long at the most, and I have until the summer to complete it. I'm praying to be able to write a good play, because I'm not going to lie, I would LOVE to have this theater group perform something I wrote.

Do I have an idea?

Why, yes, actually.

It was an idea I had for a short story with the working title of "Favorite Color", about a blind boy and a girl who tries to teach him about colors without using the sense of sight to describe them. I don't remember when the idea first came to me, but it's been working itself out in my head for a while now. Its not going to be easy getting it all written down, especially not in play format. Originally I wanted the characters to be like, six or seven, but the more I played with that idea the less it made sense. So I thought about making them both teenagers. But, for the sake of the innocent quality of the story that I really want, I think they can't be any older than twelve. That's just one of the many, many details I need to start working out. But I'm not going to give up, and if I have time and inspiration, I'll write another one and send in two. Who knows?

I have been really, really, REALLY bad at taking opportunities lately. I think about things, talk about them, and just watch them slide by. I don't want to be that way anymore. So, I'm going to fight for this one. I'm going to do whatever it takes to make a truly beautiful play.

If you feel so inclined, I would appreciate prayers. I want this to bring God glory in some small way, and I can't do that without grace.

I will keep you updated and let you know how it goes!

Enjoy your Wednesday : )

No comments:

Post a Comment