Tuesday, October 25, 2011

NaNoWriMo: On Omitted Tales

I love my mother.

She used one of her much-coveted credits on Paperback Swap to get me The Complete Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm, Volume II by Jack Zipes.

Best book ever.

Within this legendary volume of magical mischief, Jack Zipes included something I had never heard of before:

OMITTED TALES.

So. What is an 'omitted tale'?

According to Jack Zipes, it is a tale that was removed from the original collection of Grimm Fairy tales due to similarities to other tales, similarities to tales by other people (like Hans Christian Anderson), because it was too gory, or because it was incomplete. 

For NaNoWriMo this year, I am re-writing a story called The Lion and the Frog, a tale that was omitted due to similarities to other tales. But this one is seriously fantastic. It involves faithful familial love between a brother and a sister, talking animals, magical secret gardens, and a world of sick, marvelous fan-fiction possibilities!! 

*pause for maniacal laughter*

I know WHY this tale was omitted...but I don't UNDERSTAND it. Its awesome. Its better than a lot of the ones it's 'similar' too.

But who am I to judge an age-old decision to axe a story?

All I can say is I am extremely grateful Jack Zipes found and included this story in his edition. 

ONLY 6 DAYS LEFT....

No comments:

Post a Comment