Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Biggest Dream

Tumblr_m74ic5of5y1qlbwwso1_500_large

Inspired by this post by my friend Amy :)

A while ago, my priest Fr. Jeremy asked all of us at youth group to say what our dreams were. Just the one, big, important dream we had for our lives.

Some people didn't really know, some people were exuberantly elaborate, and than, it came to me.

I really thought about this, and listening to everyone talk about their 'big' dreams, I realized all my big dreams had been dwarfed by the 'biggest' dream.

"I just really, really, really want to be a saint."

So. That's my dream. But my dream is made up of everything that will help me accomplish it.

All those things are dreams; big dreams.

I dream of being a published author, not really for the sake of fame,  but for the sake of holding a physical, professionally bound copy of my story, and being able to literally pass it on to others. To share a story.

I dream of being a better artist; really getting down with my pencils, my paints and brushes, and working harder with my pliers and wire. Not for money or recognition, really, but just to get all the beauty running around inside me out, where it can be shared with the world.

I dream of being a tissue box designer (not kidding!), because boring tissue boxes are like a crime against humanity. If you need a tissue, you also need some cheering up, and the box is the best place to start.

I dream of traveling throughout the United States, and than the rest of the world. I loved visiting Italy at the beginning of this year, and I want to see places where I have roots; Ireland, Scotland, England, Slovakia...

I dream of becoming really good at dancing, because I love to dance, I just...can't.

I dream of being a great singer, or being able to play music really well, because I feel like those are the things people notice.

I dream of having hair I can brush in the morning and it will be perfectly straight and shiny, but that probably won't ever happen.

I also dream of having a face that has no acne and I don't have to cover it with powder foundation so it doesn't look shiny, but if that never happens, I think I'll be okay.

I dream of possibly going to college to become better at the things I love, so I can spend the rest of my life doing them. Creative writing, art, literature, English.

I have this crazy dream about traveling the country in a camper with my best friend, writing books together. I don't think she's knows about this, but if it would work out, she'd totally be game.

I dream of being comfortable and confident in my own skin, no matter what I'm wearing, how I look, or who I'm with.

I dream of riding in a hot air balloon, even though it would probably terrify me and I'd hate it until it was over.

I dream of riding on a train throughout Alaska, which is something I kind of stole from my Mom :).

I dream of going on a boat somewhere special.

I dream of romance, and love, because my heart was made for love.

I dream of being a wife and mother, because I love the idea of having my own family; of taking care of people, cooking and cleaning for them, and helping them become the people they were meant to be.

The bottom line is, I dream of being a saint because that's what I was made to be. All those other dreams are part of that, and that's why I am aiming for the Biggest Dream.

So all the big ones can fill up the space in between.

1 comment:

  1. Clare, your dreams are simply amazing. The one about traveling the country in a camper? That has always been my dream honeymoon. So I guess our dreams might make it possible for us to be friends forever. Who knows? Maybe we'll cross paths in Arkansas or something crazy like that :) Oh, and my dream? Love. A big white farmhouse full of my family and love. And a huge slobbering dog :P

    ReplyDelete