Sunday, June 23, 2013

My Top 5 Music Videos

I love music videos. If I like a song, I immediately wonder if there's a music video. Songs always paint stories in my mind, so I like to see stories paired with songs. As such, I have watched a lot of music videos in my life. I think the first one I ever saw was the Be My Escape video by Reliant K. And shortly thereafter I watched the Hold On video by the Jonas Brothers. No, I was not eased into the music video world gently.

Because I love music videos so much (I seriously want to direct one someday), I decided to post my official TOP 5 music videos out there in this world. These are the videos that I would watch (or have watched) a dozen times at once.

Voila. I realize I've posted two of these music videos before (here and here), but they are indeed in my top 5, so I'm posting them again. I hope you enjoy these videos as much as I do!


#5
Mine, Taylor Swift

I'm not going to lie, there are SEVERAL Taylor Swift music videos I love (any girl who doesn't love the You Belong With Me video is lying to herself), but this one has to be my favorite.  I don't approve of every part of it, particularly how the song talks about an unmarried couple living together. But its a seriously romantic and beautiful video. The story portrayed, the imagery, the setting, and the two little adorable blonde boys put it at #5 on my list.




#4
Just Haven't Met You Yet, Michael Buble

I had never even heard of Michael Buble when my older sister had us load this video on our glacially slow internet connection three years ago. It is the funniest music video I've ever seen. Ever. All the other funny videos try to be as funny as this one. And the song is pretty fabulous, too. I love how everyone starts randomly dancing in the aisles. And the ending is truly ironic. All that puts this video at #4.




#3
Little Balloon, Jenny and Tyler

Yes, I know, I've posted this one before. But I still love it. I found Jenny and Tyler through an internet ad for a Christian music concert, so I decided to check out their website. The Little Balloon video had just been released, so I decided to see what it was like. I was drawn into it immediately. I love how its filmed, and I love how an entire video can follow one little red balloon as the wind carries it to a new destination. #3!




#2
Youtopia, Armin Van Buurin Feat. Adam Young

Again, yes, I've posted this one before. Forgive me. I love this video for a lot of reasons. I admit, one of those reasons is because Adam Young is in it. But I love the mystery of it. I love how its set in flashbacks and memories evoked by a place. Having lived four states away from my best friend since I was 10, I can relate to the sense of wanting to turn around and see a person standing there who is, in reality, very far away. Its just a beautiful video full of color and emotion. So here it is, back on my blog once again at #2.





#1
Her Diamonds, Rob Thomas

Here it is. My number one, all time favorite music video. I have loved Rob Thomas ever since I heard the song Little Wonders. I saw this video on Youtube one day and it intrigued me, but I didn't watch it at first because I had never heard the song before. When I did, it blew me away. It is absolutely incredible. The song has an eerie but hopeful sound to it. I love the use of light, how it slowly floods into the room as the sun rises. The imagery goes with the words like magic. And the special effects are just about the coolest thing I've ever seen. I mean, come on, there is a girl ENCASED IN ICE. 
Overall, I know its kind of a dark and metaphorical video (the song was written by Thomas for his wife who was suffering from an auto-immune disease), but I can't get over it. Its full of a passion and intensity that inspire me, and for the past year or so, it has held the honored place in my heart as my #1 music video.





There you have it. I hope your summer is going as well as mine!

2 comments:

  1. Jonas brothers for the win! Haha I added Ur website to my phone homepage! I've missed your stories :) squishy love you so much!! I'm sure you know who I am now even though I am "anonymous" xoxo!

    ReplyDelete