Thursday, August 29, 2013

No NaNoWriMo 2013

Okay. I have opened myself up fully to the possibility of NOT doing NaNoWriMo a fourth time. And the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of not doing it.

Why?

Here is a list of just a few reasons:

1. I'm really just using NaNoWriMo as an excuse to be totally lazy, and to not write anything ever unless its NaNoWriMo.

2. I should be writing 1,000+ words EVERYDAY even when its NOT NaNoWriMo if I wish to continue calling myself an author.

3. I have 3 unfinished NaNo Novels pining for my attention already.

4. Everyone I talk to about this possibility thinks its a good idea.

5. I have already proved (three times over) that I can write a massive amount of words in 30 days, but I have yet to prove I can FINISH a book.

6. NaNoWriMo is stressful, and I don't need extra stress in my life, even though I enjoy the particular brand of stress NaNoWriMo possesses.

7. I have many much more important things to be doing in the time between now and November 1st, which I would probably otherwise spend 'prepping' for NaNoWriMo.

So. I believe it's safe to say that NaNoWriMo 2013 has been officially called off for me. I admit that I'm very disappointed by the thought of not doing it, but this list has me convinced that I am better off writing just for the sake of becoming a better writer, not for the fun/glory/rush of NaNo-Noveling.

I will still begin writing Flower and Thorn at my leisure now.

I would like to thank particularly Steve and Meg for their advice and input on this decision. I will finish something and let you read it as soon as possible, I promise.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Though I have never done NaNoWriMo before, I know all about having many unfinished novels. Maybe I should follow in your footsteps and actually commit to finishing them...


    thehomeschooledteen-anna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete