Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Christmas In July

Yesterday, I was listening to Christmas music.

There was something so cheery and seasonal about listening to classics like Silent Night and The Little Drummer Boy, and the fact that Josh Groban was singing.

Ok, I know what you're thinking: It's July, you nut! Why are you listening to Christmas music!?!?

I assure you, its for a good cause. I'm trying to come up with a decent entry for HSLDA's Christmas Card contest, that will provide widows and their families with Christmas cards, since they will probably get far fewer this year than in the years their husbands were alive.

I was lacking inspiration, so I warned my sister Meg (as our rooms are adjoining) that I would be listening to Christmas music. She fled to go ride a horse.


Figures.

So I'm kind of having my own little 'Christmas In July' here! Very fun. I like this 'Christmas while its warm' thing!

Using my adorable new Hello Kitty mechanical pencil (which, alas, I found out AFTER I fell in love with it, fits size 0.5 mm leads, which is smaller than the standard size and therefore will be more expensive/harder to find)





I drew the following rough sketch of what I want my card to look like:





Please recall I said ROUGH sketch!

I love the concept of the little drummer boy. Imagine getting to play a drum for the King of all creation! I had originally wanted to draw St. Joseph holding Baby Jesus, but than I started thinking about how, if I were a widow, maybe I wouldn't so much want to be reminded of fathers. Added to this concern, I also was unable to actually DRAW a decent St. Joe, so scratch that idea. The Little Drummer Boy track came on the CD, and BAM! New inspiration.

I'm considering putting some angels in the background, playing along with the little boy. Clearly, Mary and Jesus aren't done yet. The finished product will be MUCH better, but that's my general idea.

So....five months early, MERRY CHRISTMAS! And a Happy New Year!


1 comment:

  1. Clare, I just want to be sure that you know that it's, you know, SUMMER!!! Lol, just kidding. Good luck with your good cause :)

    ReplyDelete