Tuesday, July 23, 2013

NaNoWriMo 2013!


I know what you're thinking:

"Great gravy, its only July! November is over three months away! And besides, you've won NaNoWriMo THREE TIMES already! What business do you have doing it a FOURTH year!?"

I answer you:

1. Its never too early to start trying to make this NaNo better than the last NaNo.

2. Winning doesn't mean I was proud of my completed project.

3. I love NaNoWriMo. I will do it every year that I possibly can for the rest of my life.


I even have an idea I'm already tossing around. My working title for it is Flower and Thorn. It's based on the Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale Thumbelina, but it would be a modern retelling and from the perspective of Thumbelina's 'mother'. There are some odd ideas I have for this one, and my biggest concern is that it would suffer the fate of both NaNo #1 and NaNo #2: TURN INTO A SOAP OPERA. It has a lot of potential for drama, and with so much energy and emotion going into NaNoWroMo already, I tend to let a dramatic story go out of control.

Unfortunately, I also have two other ideas.

One, Crossfire, is about a battlefield nurse who loses everything and everyone she loves when she shows mercy on the enemy king. This was actually the story I intended to write last year for NaNoWriMo 2012, but I got the idea for Leprechaun Holiday and wanted to pursue that one instead. I have this story almost completely plotted out, I just don't know how it'll end, but it would definitely be the smartest story to choose for NaNo.

The other, which has no title yet, and is not exactly developed at all, would be set in the Viking era. My main character would be a mysterious young man with dark secrets. I'm really excited about several scenes in the book that I would write, especially one involving sirens (you know, those mystical monsters who lure ships to their doom?). But it would take a lot of research, and I don't think I have it fully-formed in my head yet. It's just bits and pieces right now. So that one will probably have to wait.


As anyone who reads my blog already knows, and, as I already said, I love NaNoWriMo. It is so much fun, and it really turns writing into a priority, which, unfortunately, it isn't always.

So, I would like to strongly encourage anyone whose ever even vaguely considered writing a book, to participate in NaNoWriMo 2013. You can even set your own goal! 50,000 can be too  many words for some stories, anyway. It is a lot of fun, a great challenge, and very satisfying.

I've had a lot of friends (and silblings) bail on me in previous NaNoWriMo's, so I'm also looking for a few writing buddies.

I can't wait for November!

No comments:

Post a Comment