Monday, April 11, 2011

Long Live the Brothers Grimm!

Ah, The Brothers Grimm.

Here here!

Drink a toast (raspberry lemonade, if you please...)!

Do a dance (square dancing, maybe?)!

And write a fabulous retelling of one of their best loved tales!!

....What?

Yes, yes. Alas, for those of you that know me, YES, I have returned to the Fairy Tale Thing, a.k.a. FTT.

The FTT us really cool and fun....its just also INCREDIBLY easy to screw up.

For instance:

The Horrific Retelling of Rapunzel.

*cringe*

I especially hate that thing after seeing Tangled. Disney's ideas were MUCH better than mine, let me just tell you...

For instance:

* No, Clare, the main character DOESN'T have to be cursed. Sheesh.

* The evil witch with a hyper-active sense of sarcasm was freakishly unoriginal.

* The over-emotional prince who swings rapidly back and forth between crying over his dead mother and mooning over a cranky princess.

* The henchmen floating gloves with no real purpose other than randomness.

* The magical cupboard that brought upon such incidents as Wheat Thin slinging, dyeing ones hair with Kool-Aid, and eating Oreos with your boyfriend *covers face in shame, groaning*

* KILLING THE WHOLE THING WITHOUT SAVING AN ORIGINAL COPY!!! *screams in horror*

Yeah.

Door closed.

Moving on.

Arguably, I was like, 12-13 when I wrote that.

Still... *gag*

This time, I'm giving Snow White a go!

I'm older, and a LITTLE wiser now, and I have a very specific idea for it in mind.

There are two things in Snow White that are darn cool:

The Magic Mirror and The Poison Apple!

Putting significant emphasis on these two could make for a very cool retelling.

I also am VERY excited about the dwarfs. Coming from a big family, just the thought of seven bachelor brothers living together is both hilarious and horrifying to comprehend!

And, of course, being ME, I had to do some art to get in the groove right after writing the prologue, which went very well, by the way:




My apologies for the lousy camera quality, but hey, we work with what we have. I borrowed from the incredibly epic Band Perry their amazing song If I Die Young.

I thought it fit pretty well.

All my family members said, "Oh! Its Sleeping Beauty!"

Me: *squinty eyes* "Nooooo...its SNOW WHITE."

"But her hair is long."

"SO WHAT!? I WOULD THINK THE FAIREST IN THE LAND WOULD HAVE FLOWING HAIR, DON'T YOU!?"

Needless to say, they were thinking very strictly DISNEY Snow White.

*sigh*

So. This is just the beginning of a long journey, I'm sure.

I love fairy tales.

I love to write.

Long live the Brothers Grimm!

No comments:

Post a Comment