Drink a toast (raspberry lemonade, if you please...)!
Do a dance (square dancing, maybe?)!
And write a fabulous retelling of one of their best loved tales!!
Yes, yes. Alas, for those of you that know me, YES, I have returned to the Fairy Tale Thing, a.k.a. FTT.
The FTT us really cool and fun....its just also INCREDIBLY easy to screw up.
The Horrific Retelling of Rapunzel.
I especially hate that thing after seeing Tangled. Disney's ideas were MUCH better than mine, let me just tell you...
* No, Clare, the main character DOESN'T have to be cursed. Sheesh.
* The evil witch with a hyper-active sense of sarcasm was freakishly unoriginal.
* The over-emotional prince who swings rapidly back and forth between crying over his dead mother and mooning over a cranky princess.
* The henchmen floating gloves with no real purpose other than randomness.
* The magical cupboard that brought upon such incidents as Wheat Thin slinging, dyeing ones hair with Kool-Aid, and eating Oreos with your boyfriend *covers face in shame, groaning*
* KILLING THE WHOLE THING WITHOUT SAVING AN ORIGINAL COPY!!! *screams in horror*
Arguably, I was like, 12-13 when I wrote that.
This time, I'm giving Snow White a go!
I'm older, and a LITTLE wiser now, and I have a very specific idea for it in mind.
There are two things in Snow White that are darn cool:
The Magic Mirror and The Poison Apple!
Putting significant emphasis on these two could make for a very cool retelling.
I also am VERY excited about the dwarfs. Coming from a big family, just the thought of seven bachelor brothers living together is both hilarious and horrifying to comprehend!
And, of course, being ME, I had to do some art to get in the groove right after writing the prologue, which went very well, by the way:
My apologies for the lousy camera quality, but hey, we work with what we have. I borrowed from the incredibly epic Band Perry their amazing song If I Die Young.
I thought it fit pretty well.
All my family members said, "Oh! Its Sleeping Beauty!"
Me: *squinty eyes* "Nooooo...its SNOW WHITE."
"But her hair is long."
"SO WHAT!? I WOULD THINK THE FAIREST IN THE LAND WOULD HAVE FLOWING HAIR, DON'T YOU!?"
Needless to say, they were thinking very strictly DISNEY Snow White.
So. This is just the beginning of a long journey, I'm sure.
I love fairy tales.
I love to write.
Long live the Brothers Grimm!