Thursday, August 9, 2012

Some sorrow over Owl City....

My favorite artist,  Adam Young (Owl City) appears to have sold out.

One of the songs (Bombshell Blonde) on his album that is coming out soon (The Midsummer Station) is basically an anthem for objectifying a girl. The rest are basically the run-of-the-mill pop that pretty much anyone can put out these days.

This is really sad, because though I was never one of the girls who proclaimed my intentions of marrying him, I always thought of Adam Young as a reliable, lovable best friend who I could count on.

Things have changed. Suddenly. Unexpectedly. And definitely not for the better.

I don't know why this change has suddenly taken place; it almost seems day and night, especially since his old, very sophisticated blog has been replaced by something very different. One of my friends is taking it really hard and I'm worried she might lose sleep over it.

Me?

I don't know yet. I'm sad. I can actually feel a deep loss for something beautiful; Adam Young was really, truly doing something BEAUTIFUL. He was writing and performing unique, quality music in an industry that is filled with a lot of the same these days.

A few months ago, when iTunes released four songs from The Midsummer Station, I was horrified by 2 of them. But I felt certain that those were good enough odds that Adam Young was headed for another album that expressed a genuine love for beauty and truth.

Obviously, I was wrong.

I'm not angry at Adam Young, or his new music label, or anything like that. Like I said, I'm just really sad. I love his old music. It is gorgeous. This new music? It makes my head hurt...my heart, too. I don't know how anyone could give up something extraordinary and beautiful for something gross and boring.

But I'm not going to focus on how or why Adam Young's music has changed. I don't approve of what he's singing, but I still love him as a person. I will always have the songs he sang that moved me and shaped me and helped me in countless ways.



"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." 

Dr. Seuss

God bless you, Adam Young. I hope you still love this song as much as I do. 



3 comments:

  1. Hey, perk up sister! There's always a chance he'll make a comeback. We just have to keep praying for him to stay in the light. And who knows? Maybe the seemingly overused "pop" style songs will touch a different kind of soul? Someone who wouldn't listen to his old works? God only knows what will happen, and if even one soul is aided by his music, it's worth the loss of a music style we loved. Does that even make any sense? Blergh. :P

    Anyway... Worry does no one any good in the end. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though Bombshell Blonde is frustrating to say the least. >:(

    ReplyDelete