Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Listening to fears.



You have listened to fears, child,” said Aslan. “Come, let me breathe on you. Forget them. Are you brave again?” 
C. S. Lewis, Prince Caspian

I know it was no mistake that I found this quote just now.

For the past week, I have been listening to fears. I have been caught up in myself, and things that have frightened me for a long time. Last year I was struggling with these same things. I don't remember how I overcame them then, and I'm not certain why they popped back up now. I don't even know where these fears come from; they pop up from some deep wound in my heart that I can't name or overcome on my own.

I am a big fan of C. S. Lewis and his Narnia books, but I've only read the first three, so aside from an old film version (not the new Disney movie) and an audio cassette version, I'm not as familiar with the story of Prince Caspian. But I do know that it is the story of a prince who must be brave to regain his rightful throne. His fears, wounds, insecurities and doubts hold him back and cripple him.
The four Pevensie children, the Kings and Queens of Narnia, also face their own fears as they return to the world they once grew up in.

I feel a lot like Prince Caspian and the Pevensies right now. There are beautiful and noble things in my life to fight for, but I am held back by fears that plague me again and again. 

In the world of Narnia, Aslan is the Creator of all things. He is the God of Narnia; he is an all-good, all-knowing being who loves his children, especially when they are weakest. 

I know God speaks to me in the same way Aslan speaks to Susan. He challenges me to face the fears I have allowed to cripple me. He breathes His life on me, and gives me His courage and strength. Then, He tells me to put my fears behind me; they are overcome. And I am brave again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment