Friday, August 19, 2011

Great Expectations



Countless studies have been done to evaluate the impact expectations have on people's performance.

What is expected of us all our lives is probably what we'll do while we're young. If your parents expect you to do your chores and do well in school, you'll probably do it. If they don't care, chances are neither will you. Of course, every instance is different; sometimes we go the exact opposite route than the one expected of us. But that just further proves that expectations have a huge impact on what we do, no matter how they influence our decisions.

In the world today, there has been a definite shift downwards in the expectations we have for one of the most important things in the world; love.

People go to shady places, meet perfect strangers, and go home with them. They live together till it gets hard, than they break up. They have countless affairs and than wonder why their marriage has gone downhill. They go around procreating children, and than are shocked when they actually have children.

Its a lack of greater expectations that results in settling for anything.

*WARNING I AM ABOUT TO STEAL AN EXAMPLE!* If you could have a five star dinner at a glamorous, comfortable restaurant for the rest of your life, why would you go eat scraps out of a rusty, moldy dumpster just because it feels good in the moment and you can see it, touch it, experience it now?

Today, while my mom, who holds great, beautiful standards and expectations for me, was driving me home from work, I heard the song Can't Live Without, by Blake Wise.

The refrain of this song pretty much summed up everything I hold dear to my heart, everything I feel, everything I hope for.

Because it's true.

I'm not looking for someone to live with.

I'm looking for someone I can't live without.

Those are my expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment