Saturday, August 13, 2011

i don't deserve this love


Does someone ever go completely, ridiculously out of their way, just for you, so that you can be happy?

Oh, man...I pray everyone has that, at least once. It's the most amazing, convicting feeling in the world.

Earlier this week, my mom and the mom of my best friend in the whole wide world each drove completely out of their way, six hours total, so that my best friend and I could see each other for three hours.

I met my bestest friend ever nine years ago. When we were ten, she and her family moved about four states away, and we went from seeing each other as frequently as twice a month to once a year. Its been really hard, and sometimes I feel like we're losing touch entirely.

But every single time we get back together, it's like we were never apart. We scream. We hug. We make a hysterical scene (usually in public...sometimes we even run in front of buses!). And than we move on and talk each other's ears off and do random stuff and just be together. When you love somebody so much for so long, just their presence is like having a twelve hour party with root beer floats and pinatas!

Living four states away, these get-togethers can be unreasonably scarce.

Enter the Moms.

They love us so much. I mean, really. Who in their right mind drives six hours so their daughter can wander around a mall with her best friend for three hours?

People who love you.

I don't deserve this much love. If love was something that had to be earned, most of us would be sad, lonely, and wholly loathed by our parents and acquaintances.

But love is not a reward; its a gift.

Once, a very awesome guy (hi, Bob!) said something that struck me very much; "You can never repay love. You can only give it away."

Love transcends value. It transcends reality. You would (or...should) never give someone a million dollars every time they cleaned their room just because you liked them. But for no reason whatsoever, my parents will hug me or kiss me, remind me how much they love me and how proud they are of me.

Me, the person who can't seem to get anything together in her life! Me, the emotional red-haired fruitcake with communication issues! Me. They love me. Not for what I can do, or what I can produce, or how I can repay them for the ridiculous things they do for me (like driving those six hours).

That's priceless. And they're giving it away.



1 comment:

  1. The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread. ~Mother Teresa
    You have to walk carefully in the beginning of love; the running across fields into your lover's arms can only come later when you're sure they won't laugh if you trip. ~Jonathan Carroll, "Outside the Dog Museum"
    Do I love you because you're beautiful,
    Or are you beautiful because I love you?
    ~Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II, Cinderella
    For you see, each day I love you more
    Today more than yesterday and less than tomorrow.
    ~Rosemonde Gerard

    A few of my favorite love quotes from a pretty cool website :) http://quotegarden.com/love.html

    ReplyDelete